dyspraxia uk

Dyspraxia UK follows guidance from the Royal College of Occupational Therapy (RCOT).

If you have a question, please email us at enquiries@dyspraxiauk.com. Thank you.

Please leave a message and we will return your call



Transition to College or University is a big step for people with Dyspraxia, especially if they are going to be living away from home. Parents are encouraged to teach self-help skills at an early age and make sure the student can cook, shop and budget for a balanced diet; can look after their own hygiene and their clothes; manage money and their own time, and have time for some social life as well.


If you feel you could do with additional help at College or University its best to highlight this when you apply, and get an up-to-date Assessment done before you start, rather than wait until you are struggling with the course.


Student Tips

  • Practice getting up in the morning without parental help before you go to College.  Invest in a good alarm clock, maybe with vibrating pad under the pillow.
  • Use a large magnetic Whiteboard to help organise yourself.
  • Get a calendar, a Dairy or Organiser and Year planner for ‘hand in dates’ for college work.
  • Use the alarm on your phone to warn you to get ready in time for appointments or Lectures.
  • Text help Read and Write is fantastic for some people when reading documents on your computer.

Symptom checklist:

  • Do you find it difficult to get your thoughts into writing?
  • Do you need help with everyday activities like remembering appointments?
  • Do you prefer solo sports to team games?
  • Do you lose things and feel disorganised?
  • Has anyone in your family (including Uncles, Aunts and Grandparents) had difficulties with reading, writing or general clumsiness?
  • Are you often late for lectures and meetings?
  • Do you get lost easily in new surroundings?
  • Do you feel you are underachieving academically?

If you answered YES to 4 or more questions you may have dyspraxia and need further assessment.


What to Do:


Check with your GP if you are still young enough to access the Paediatric/young person services at your local Child Development Centre (NHS). A multi-disciplinary team of therapists and a paediatrician will assess you.


If you are too old for this service, unfortunately, there may not be another contracted NHS resource available for adults with dyspraxia.  Contact your GP to see if funding can be applied for via your local GP clinical commissioning group for specialist services.


If there is no NHS funding for suitable service in your area, please contact us for a self pay assessment.


To help choose supportive Colleges go to www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk.


Find us on our Facebook or Twitter for helpful hints and tips on coping with Dyspraxia.

Dyspraxia college university students

Dyspraxia UK

A thank you really falls short of how I feel about the report and the effect meeting with you has had on Lara.  Firstly, the report is exactly what Lara needs to give to the University; hopefully they will embrace it and the recommendations. Secondly I have sensed a sea change in Lara. From the young adult who only weeks before seeing you had said "Maybe I haven't got Dyspraxia, maybe I'm just thick" Seems to have 'owned' that she has Dyspraxia and has been more confident to say what she needs and what is good or not good for her. I suppose what I’m trying to explain is that she seems empowered. I give you my heartfelt thanks from a mum who adores her girl and has seen at close quarters how difficult things have been for her at times. My main motivation for Lara has always been to try and foster her self-esteem and I think her meeting with you and the assessment will go a long way in helping this.  

Sarah 2013